Download Microsoft C/C++ compiler for use with Python 2.6/2.7 ASAP

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollans.com
Tue Jul 6 12:21:32 EDT 2010

On 07/06/2010 05:50 PM, sturlamolden wrote:
> It is possible to build C and Fortran extensions for official Python
> 2.6/2.7 binaries on x86 using mingw. AFAIK, Microsoft's compiler is
> required for C++ or amd64 though. (Intel's compiler requires VS2008,
> which has now perished.)

mingw gcc should work for building C++ extensions if it also works for C
extensions. There's no difference on the binding side - you simply have
to include everything as extern "C", which I am sure the header does for
you.

As for amd64 - I do not know if there is a mingw64 release for windows
already. If there isn't, there should be ;-) But that doesn't really
change anything: the express edition of Microsoft's VC++ doesn't include
an amd64 compiler anyway, AFAIK.

Also, VS2010 should work as well - doesn't it?