The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jul 7 23:26:22 EDT 2010

On 7/7/2010 5:29 AM, geremy condra wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 1:37 AM, Terry Reedy<tjreedy at udel.edu>  wrote:

>>> Thanks. I don't want to appear ungrateful, but I was hoping for
>>> something specific to the 2-to-3 conversion. I guess someone has to
>>> start somewhere...

>> There is an existing 2to3 and other pages for Python code conversion. I do
>> not know of any for CAPI conversion. The need for such has been acknowledged
>> among the devs but if there is nothing yet, we need someone with specialized
>> experience and a bit of time to make a first draft. If you start one, give
>> it an easy to remember name C2to3? 2to3Capi? You choose. And link to it from
>> the 2to3 pag
>> In his post on this thread, Martin Loewis volunteered to list what he knows
>> from psycopg2 if someone else will edit.

> I'm not sure why I don't have this post, but I'm happy to help edit
> etc if Martin
> wants to put together a rough draft.

Since I wrote that, someone pointed out the the Python How-to collection
includes Porting Extension Modules to 3.0
by Benjamim Peterson. So all Pyilip or Martin need to do is read that
and suggest additions.

Since it is part of the doc set, I presume an issue could be opened on
the tracker.

--
Terry Jan Reedy