simple python deployment tool

King animator333 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 04:21:43 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am writing a python package deployment tool for linux based
platforms. I have tried various existing
tool sets but none of them is up to the mark and they have their own
issues. Initially I'll start with simple approach.

1. Find all the modules/packages and copy to "lib" directory.
2. Find python's *.so dependencies(system libs) and copy them to
"syslib"
3. Copy python(executable) and libpython2.6.so.1.0 into "dist"
directory.
4. Set up temp environment
5. Run main script using "python <main script>.py"

The idea is to produce a cleaner directory structure. Neither I am
creating a boot loader nor I am converting main script
file into executable. It's plain vanilla stuff.

Using above steps I have pulled down a package using wxPython's demo
example "pySketch.py". You can download the archive from here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/405255400/dist.zip
(Note : It's for linux users.)

After extracting the contents, run the executable file using "./run".
This file sets temporary environment variables and execute
"pySketch.py". I apologize for the archive size as all the systems
libs are also included.

This is eventually not working. I think I am not able to set up
temporary environment properly or may be missing some other
stuff. I would appreciate if some one can point out mistakes.

Here is the practical approach:
/lib          (all python libs, files and third party modules.)
/syslib     (all the system libs. libX*.*, cairo, etc.)
python     (executable)
pySketch.py
run.sh

Contents of "run.sh".