Python 2.7 released

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Jul 8 11:30:59 EDT 2010

On 08/07/2010 16:07, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-07-08, Aahz<aahz at pythoncraft.com>  wrote:
>> In article<1450078b-d5ee-437f-bd8b-8da26900f254 at x27g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
>> imageguy<imageguy1206 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry to be daft here, but what do you mean by a "hardlink" ?
>>> A windows "Shortcut" ?
>>
>> Just to be clear, a hardlink on NTFS functions almost exactly the same as
>> a hardlink on a Unix filesystem -- it's a pointer to the same underlying
>> file.
>
> A windows shortcut is more like a Unix symlink (symbolic link), where
> the real destination path is a string contained in the link/shortcut
> file.  That destination path is then evaluated and "dereferenced" when
> the link/shortcut is accessed.

Goodness knows I'm probably teaching my grandmother etc. etc. but I
would clarify that a Windows shortcut is a *shell* concept: from the
NTFS point of view, it's just a something.lnk with some opaque contents.

A (>= Vista) NTFS smbolic link is documented as designed "to function just
like Unix links".

TJG