Issues compiling 2.6.5 on AIX 6.1

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollans.com
Thu Jul 8 12:51:15 EDT 2010

On 07/08/2010 04:36 PM, Stopp, Bryan wrote:
> I’ve seen other threads on this issue, but the resolution still doesn’t
> seem to exist for me.
>

> I’m running the configure script with these parameters:
>

> ./configure --prefix=/build/tools \
>
>             --exec-prefix=/build/tools \
>
>             --enable-shared \
>
>             --enable-ipv6 \
>
>             --with-gcc \
>
>             --with-pth
>

> I also want to state that I already edited all of the configure &
> config.guess scripts to comprehend AIX6.1 (they’re not updated yet).

This smells horribly like rather risky business. I don't know what you
changed or how experienced you are when it comes to editing these
auto-generated, system-specific files.

Have you tried with Python 2.7, or do you need 2.6? Python 2.7 might
work here?

Since configure and config.guess are auto-generated, maybe you can
regenerate them with a newer/updated version of autoconf that supports
your system.

Quite frankly, it surprises me that changes to configure would be
necessary. Is the system that unusual?

What happens if you --disable-shared ? I expect you want the shared
library, but - does it work?

Just some random thoughts -- I know nothing about AIX and little about
cross-UNIX portability beyond, to an extent, GNU vs BSD.

Cheers,

Thomas