Issues compiling 2.6.5 on AIX 6.1

Stopp, Bryan Bryan.Stopp at argushealth.com
Thu Jul 8 14:01:33 EDT 2010

These are good points, but I've fixed the configure & config.guess on
about 10 other OSS projects that I needed to compile on this machine. So
I know that my changes are correct. The changes boil down to:

There are a number of lines in the files that reference AIX versions for
configuring details about the system. Specifically, it'll be "if" or
"case" statements that look like:

*-ibm-aix5*)

*aix4*|*aix5*)

I just add the aix6 clause:

*-ibm-aix5* | *-ibm-aix6*)

*aix4*|*aix5*|*aix6*)

As Aix6 is binary compatible with 5, but the configure defaults it to an
unknown AIX version and completely mis-configures the compiler.

As for using the autoconf tool for my system, I'm not really sure if
it's even installed or if the latest autoconf supports this version.
Oddly enough I'm not the sys admin, but I do play one on TV.

I do want to stick with Python 2.6 if I can, but I will give compiling
2.7 a shot to see what, if anything, changes/is fixed.

Thanks for the feedback!

-B