Download Microsoft C/C++ compiler for use with Python 2.6/2.7 ASAP

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe+thunder at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 20:02:30 EDT 2010

sturlamolden:

> Windows did this too (msvcrt.dll) up to the VS2003 release, which came
> with msvcr71.dll in addition. Since then, M$ (pronounced Megadollar
> Corp.) have published msvcr80.dll, msvcr90.dll, and msvcr100.dll (and
> corresponding C++ versions) to annoy C and C++ developers into
> converting to C# .NET. (And yes, programs using third-party DLL and
> OCX components become unstable from this. You have to check each DLL/
> OCX you use, and each DLL used by each DLL, etc. How fun...)

   One of the benefits to COM is that it acts as a C runtime firewall -
it has its own memory allocation interface (IMalloc / CoGetMalloc) and
file I/O is performed through interfaces like IStream. It is quite
common to use an OCX compiled with one compiler in an application
compiled with another.

   If you break the rules by using malloc rather than IMalloc for memory
that is deallocated by a different component to that which allocated it
or try to pass around FILE* objects then you will see failures. So,
always follow the COM rules.

   Neil