Lua is faster than Fortran???

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jul 9 17:10:05 EDT 2010

On 7/9/2010 1:25 AM, sturlamolden wrote:

> With OpenCL, Python is better than C for heavy computing. The Python
> or C/C++ program has to supply OpenCL code (structured text) to the
> OpenCL driver, which does the real work on GPU or CPU. Python is much
> better than C or C++ at processing text. There will soon be OpenCL
> drivers for most processors on the market.

For those as ignorant as me, OpenCL = Open Computing Language (for
parallel computing). Apple proposed, Khronos Group maintains spec (along
with OpenGL), AMD, NVidea, Intel support.  Send C-like text to device,
as with OpenGL; device compiles and runs; mainly for number crunching
with all resources a machine has. OpenCL and OpenGL can work together.
There is already a Python binding:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyopencl/

--
Terry Jan Reedy