any issues with long running python apps?

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Fri Jul 9 19:30:56 EDT 2010

On 7/9/2010 12:13 PM Les Schaffer said...
> i have been asked to guarantee that a proposed Python application will
> run continuously under MS Windows for two months time.

Keep users off the machine, turn off automated updates, and point dns to
127.0.0.1.  Oh, put it on a UPS.  I've got a handful or two of these
automated systems in place and rarely have trouble.  Add a watchdog
scheduled task process to restart the job and check disk space or memory
usage and push out a heartbeat.

I found Chris Liechti's serial module years ago and have used it
successfully since.

The only times that come to mind when I've problems on the python side
were related to memory usage and the system started thrashing.  Adding
memory fixed it.

HTH,

Emile