Any reason www.python.org is slow?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jul 10 10:03:24 EDT 2010

> For the last year??
> It's been mostly zippy here.
> Is IPv6 enabled on your computer? If so, I'd try to disable it.
> python.org domains resolve to both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and, if your
> computer has IPv6 enabled but you don't have any IPv6 connectivity,
> this can result in slowdowns.

That is a common myth. If your computer doesn't have any IPv6
connectivity, all is fine. The web browser will fallback to IPv4
immediately (*), without sending out any IPv6 datagrams first.

If your computer does have IPv6 connectivity, but it's broken
(i.e. you have a gateway, but eventually packets are discarded),
you see the IPv4 fallback after the IPv6 timeout. The IPv4 connection in
itself then would be fast.

If your computer has IPv6 connectivity, but through low-bandwidth
tunnels (which may happen with 6to4 tunnels, for example), then you'll
get slow responses all the time.

Regards,
Martin

(*) unless it's some older Opera version, in which case you would
get no connection to python.org at all.