any issues with long running python apps?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Mon Jul 12 13:16:07 EDT 2010

On 7/12/2010 7:19 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2010-07-09, Les Schaffer<schaffer at optonline.net>  wrote:
>
>> i have been asked to guarantee that a proposed Python application will
>> run continuously under MS Windows for two months time. And i am looking
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> IMO, that's going to be your main problem.

    If you're doing a real-time job, run a real-time OS.  QNX,
a real-time variant of Linux, Windows CE, Windows Embedded, LynxOS,
etc.  There's too much background junk going on in a consumer OS
today.

    Yesterday, I was running a CNC plasma cutter that's controlled
by Windows XP.  This is a machine that moves around a plasma torch that
cuts thick steel plate.  A "New Java update is available" window
popped up while I was working.  Not good.

				John Nagle