iptcinfo: Can not import: Newbie not really knowing what he is doing

mcl mcl.office at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 12 15:56:50 EDT 2010

On Jul 12, 4:11 pm, Nick Raptis <airsc... at otenet.gr> wrote:
> Hi Richard!> I have downloaded iptcinfo and placed it in python27\Lib\site-packages
> > \iptcinfo
>
> > I guessed that was the right place, because that is where PIL ended
> > up, but that had a fancy installer with it.
>
> You did place it in the right path, but the "fancy installer" does one
> more thing, it registers the package into the python-path, so python can
> get to it.
> I've long switched from windows unfortunately and can't remember the way
> it does this though, so you can do it manually.
>
> Have some good news though: I looked in the IPTCinfo package and it does
> indeed include a setup.py, which is a standard way of installing python
> packages.
> All you need to do is unpack the package to any folder and run
> setup.py install
> from that folder, which should take care of everything for you.
>
> Some documentation on installing packages for you to read:http://docs.python.org/install/
>
> Nick

What a star.  It is all now working.

I will try to look at the reference you mentioned, but at the moment I
can not even figure out why 'python' on its own does not work.  I
would have thought the installation would have set the appropriate
environment variables, but it does not seem to have.  I have to give
the full path name to python.exe.  Just remembered SET at DOS prompt,
but no mention of PYTHON anywhere.

Thank you very much again - I now have a list of all my JPEGS and
their CAPTIONS.

Richard