Hello

Tim Johnson tim at johnsons-web.com
Tue Jul 13 16:47:31 EDT 2010

On 2010-07-10, Andreas Waldenburger <usenot at geekmail.INVALID> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 16:49:20 +0000 (UTC) Grant Edwards
><invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-07-09, Dani Valverde <dani.valverde at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I am new to python and pretty new to programming (I have some
>> > expertise wit R statistical programming language). I am just
>> > starting, so my questions may be a little bit stupid. Can anyone
>> > suggest a good editor for python?
>>
>> Emacs, Scite (has nice folding), Vim, Eclipse.
>>
> Great tips for a newbie.
>
> Not.
>
> Well, they might be, but chances are, they are overkill for people new
> to programming and will only alienate them (Scite may be an exception).
> Text editors are an acquired taste.

	Emacs and Vim are very difficult to learn. Emacs more so than vim
	(even with vim's modal style of editing IMHO). However, to suggest that
	either might alienate someone new to programming presupposes some
	metric on their ability to learn. Since I am not privy to that metric,
	read on:

	As linux programmer, I use vim for python, javascript, rebol and adhoc system
	management and emacs for lispish programmer languages.

	1)Most releases of vim (such as those available from ubuntu repositories)
	are compiled with the python binary embedded. Thus one could customize
	vim using python itself.
	2)Emacs is itself a design environment based on the elisp programming
	language and both of these.

	The time spent on learning either of these could pay off in the long
	run, *but it would be a long run*.

	Vim and emacs are available for Windows.

  When I programmed in Windows I used two different editors: Pythowin,
	obviously coming with the python for windows distribution.
	Pythonwin is great and very 'helpful'.

	Boxer - a freeware programmer's editor, that has the best balance
	of configurability and ease of use of any editor that I have used.
	But it has been years since I used either.

--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web.com or akwebsoft.com