rstrip()

News123 news1234 at free.fr
Sun Jul 18 10:17:45 EDT 2010

Thomas Jollans wrote:

>> string.rstrip( [ '-dir' ] )
>> or  as
>> string.rstrip( '-dir' )
>
> The former should certainly raise an exception. '-dir' is not a single
> character !
> Or it should actually strip '-dir', or '-dir-dir', but not 'r--i'... but
> that's just silly.

It's silly with the example of '-dir' it's much less silly with
a string like ' \t'.

The doc is rather clear about it:
str.rstrip([chars])

It is marked 'chars' and not 'suffix'

The textual description is even clearer:
"The chars argument is not a suffix; rather, all combinations of its
values are stripped:"

When  I asked in this grpup about a way of how to strip off a prefix I
never even considered strip as a solution having read the doc before.

I also think, that the functionality of strip / rstrip is useful as is.

It would just be great to have functions to strip  prefixes/suffixes.
If these new commands were alphabetically next to the classic  commands,
( e.g. strip_prefix / rstrip_suffix)  then almost everybody looking for
string functions would probably use the function, which is appropriate
for his purpose.

Breaking backwardscompatibility within python 3 might not be the best
choice.