Compile python executable only for package deployment on Linux

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue Jul 20 13:25:23 EDT 2010

King, 20.07.2010 18:45:
> I have created a simple tool(python script) that creates a self
> sufficient package ready for deployment. Current implementation is
> based on shell scripting to set environment for the app and finally
> execute "python main.py".
>
> I am planning to convert "main.py" into an executable. The plan is to
> rip the unnecessary code from source code that produce python
> executable such as command line arguments etc, use "main.py" as python
> string (hardcoded inside executable source) and execute it using
> "exec" or similar methods and finally creates executable.
>
> Am I right here? Is this is the correct approach?

 From what you write here, I'm not exactly sure what you want to achieve,
but...

> For example a simple script:
>
> import os
> import math
> print math.sin(23.0)
> print os.getenv("PATH")
>
> Once I'll convert above script as i have mentioned above in an
> executable say: "myapp", executing "myapp" will print messages on
> console.

Assuming that Python is installed on the machine and readily runnable from
the PATH, this will make the script executable:

     #!/usr/bin/env python

     import os
     import math

Note that the file must have the executable bit set.

Search for "shebang", which is the spelled-out name for the "#!" special
file prefix.

Stefan