Python as a scripting language. Alternative to bash script?

Fri Jul 23 20:08:55 EDT 2010

In message <mailman.301.1278423632.1673.python-list at python.org>, Michael
Torrie wrote:

> While it's possible to set up pipes and spawn programs in parallel to
> operate on the pipes, in practice it's simpler to tell subprocess.Popen
> to use a shell and then just rely on Bash's very nice syntax for setting
> up the pipeline.

Just be careful about properly escaping any special characters in the file
names. See my other thread about escaping data, where some respondents have
expressed a strong allergy to any form of embedding one language inside
another.