Multiple versions of Python coexisting in the same OS

Edward Diener eldiener at tropicsoft.invalid
Fri Jul 23 23:17:19 EDT 2010

Are there any documents about multiple versionsof Python coexisting in
the same OS ( Windows in my case ) and what pitfalls to look out for ? I
have already run into a number of them. I installed Python 2.7 and 3.1.2
into completely folders, but immediately ran into serious problems
executing a Python script.

The first problem is that just invoking Python will start whichever
version is first in the PATH, and this is true from the command line or
internally in a Python script.

The second problem is that invoking a script ( some xxx.py ) will start
whichever version of Python is associated with the .py extension.

The third problem is if some software expects its scripts, which it puts
in some Python subdirectory to be in the PATH.

There may be other considerations but overall having to versions
coexisting has turned out to be a big headache involving both changes in
the PATH and in the .py association.

Does anybody know of other things to look out for ?