'as' keyword - when/how to use it

Dummey dummey at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 16:00:40 EDT 2010

On Jul 24, 3:44 am, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 23:33:55 -0700, Dummey wrote:
> > I am having the hardest time trying to find documentation on proper use
> > of the 'as' keyword (aside from . I initially thought that I would be
> > allowed to do something such as:
>
> > import shared.util as util
>
> > The as statement seems to be causing a lot of ''module' object has no
> > attribute'. Is it safe to assume that this is not the way to use it?
>
> It works for me.

> <module 'math' from '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/mathmodule.so'>>>> import email.mime.text as ham
>
> <module 'email.mime.text' from '/usr/lib/python2.5/email/mime/text.pyc'>
>
> My guess is that you are trying to import individual objects from a
> module using the package dot notation:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named sin
>
> --
> Steven

I was being an idiot and doing a circular import. I erroneously
thought  it was the "as" part of the statement. For some reason,
removing the "as" part of the statement remove/delayed the error from
popping up which made me thought it was the culprit. Thanks for the
help.