Download Microsoft C/C++ compiler for use with Python 2.6/2.7 ASAP

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Sun Jul 25 14:07:51 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:32 AM, Jonathan Hartley <tartley at tartley.com> wrote:

> I presume this problem would go away if future versions of Python
> itself were compiled on Windows with something like MinGW gcc.

You might want to track issue3871. Roumen Petrov has done a lot of
work to make CPython compilable with mingw on Windows, as well as to
make it possible to compile CPython on a different operating system
and produce a CPython executable for Windows (cross-compile).

And by the way, I've usually had success building my native extension
modules with mingw. I understand (vaguely) that if a native extension
module needs to pass FILE*'s or C++ iostreams back and forth to
different extension modules or the the core CPython interpreter then
this could lead to segfaults, but none of my extension modules need to
do that.

I would suggest that people try to build their native extension
modules with mingw, and if it doesn't work report a bug (to mingw
project and to the Python project) so that we can track more precisely
what the issues are.

Regards,

Zooko

http://bugs.python.org/issue3871# cross and native build of python for