Multiple versions of Python coexisting in the same OS

Edward Diener eldiener at tropicsoft.invalid
Sun Jul 25 23:08:16 EDT 2010

On 7/25/2010 8:41 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:19:53 -0400, Edward Diener wrote:

>>> Maybe it's just me, but I think that a script that does this is quite
>>> simply badly written: it *will* break on systems that have multiple
>>> Python versions.
>>
>> Whether it is badly written or not in your opinion it is legal and
>> happens all the time.
>
> Yes, people write poorly written, buggy scripts all the time. Just
> because code is legal syntax doesn't mean it does what is intended, or
> that what is intended is sensible.
>
> If you have multiple versions of Python installed, and you call "python
> somescript.py" without knowing *which* Python will be called, it is
> neither sensible nor does it do what you intend. End of story.

Somebody is supplying you with a Python script and internally invoking
Python again. But that somebody does not have to be myself.

I am neither buying "End of story" nor that invoking Python internally
is an error. But if you believe it to be then you can root out all such
Python code, or correct it as you like. Even with co-existing versions
of Python installed I have better things to do with my time and
therefore will pursue a solution that will work for me in the face of
such code.