hasattr + __getattr__: I think this is Python bug

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Wed Jul 28 03:48:26 EDT 2010

Ethan Furman a écrit :
> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>> Bruno Desthuilliers a écrit :
>>> (snip)

>> If you meant "what is the difference between creating the "whatever"
>> attribute with a default value in the initializer and creating it on
>> demand in the __getattr__ hook", the main difference is that in the
>> first case, the instance is garanteed to have this attribute, so you
>> get rid of "hasattr" checks (and the unwanted side effects) or, worse,
>> direct check of the instance __dict__. Except for a couple of corner
>> case, client code shouldn't have to worry about this kind of things -
>> this breaks encapsulation.
>
> Yay Tuesday!  :D
>
> What I meant was what is the difference between:
>
> [Bruno Desthuilliers]
>  > DEFAULT_WHATEVER = Whathever()
>  > class MyClass(object):
>  >      def __init__(self, x, y):
>  >          self.size = DEFAULT_WHATEVER
>
> and
>
> [Duncan Booth]
>  > class MyClass(object):
>  >     size = Whatever()
>  >     def __init__(self, x, y):
>  >         ...
>
> in both cases the object ends up with a size attribute and no further
> need of __getattr__. Of course, the warning about having a mutable
> object as a class attribute stands.

Indeed.

> To phrase it another way, why does your solution (Bruno) work, but
> Duncan's "obviously won't"?

As it is written (and assuming the name "Whatever" is bound to a
callable !-)), Duncan's code would work, even if it might not be the
safest solution in the case of a mutable type.

The problem here is that the OP stated that the "size" attribute was to
be of the same type as the host class, so the code would look something
like:

class MyClass(object):
     size = MyClass()

which will raise a NameError, since MyClass is not yet defined when
"size=MyClass()" is executed.