default behavior

Thu Jul 29 18:43:43 EDT 2010

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:43:05 +0300, Nick Raptis wrote:

> On 07/29/2010 09:12 PM, wheres pythonmonks wrote:
>> How do I build an "int1" type that has a default value of 1?
> You mean something like:
>  >>> x = int()
>  >>> x
> 0
>  >>> def myint(value=1):
> ...     return int(value)
>  >>> myint()
> 1
>  >>>
>  >>>
> That's ugly on so many levels..

Why do you think it's ugly? It's a function that returns an int, and it
provides a default value which is different from the default value of the
int constructor. It's a really simple function, and it has an equally
simple implementation, and it's an obvious way to do it. Not the *one*
obvious way, because subclassing int is equally obvious, but still
obvious.

--
Steven