default behavior

wheres pythonmonks wherespythonmonks at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 07:59:52 EDT 2010

Instead of defaultdict for hash of lists, I have seen something like:

m={}; m.setdefault('key', []).append(1)

Would this be preferred in some circumstances?
Also, is there a way to upcast a defaultdict into a dict?  I have also
heard some people use exceptions on dictionaries to catch key
existence, so passing in a defaultdict (I guess) could be hazardous to
health.  Is this true?