Download Microsoft C/C++ compiler for use with Python 2.6/2.7 ASAP

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet alf.p.steinbach+usenet at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 12:00:36 EDT 2010

* sturlamolden, on 06.07.2010 17:50:

> Just a little reminder:
>
> Microsoft has withdrawn VS2008 in favor of VS2010. The express version
> is also unavailable for download.>:((
>
> We can still get a VC++ 2008 compiler required to build extensions for
> the official Python 2.6 and 2.7 binary installers here (Windows 7 SDK
> for .NET 3.5 SP1):
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=71DEB800-C591-4F97-A900-BEA146E4FAE1&displaylang=en
>
> Download today, before it goes away!
>
> Microsoft has now published a download for Windows 7 SDK for .NET 4.
> It has the VC++ 2010 compiler. It can be a matter of days before the VC
> ++ 2008 compiler is totally unavailable.
>
> It is possible to build C and Fortran extensions for official Python
> 2.6/2.7 binaries on x86 using mingw. AFAIK, Microsoft's compiler is
> required for C++ or amd64 though. (Intel's compiler requires VS2008,
> which has now perished.)
>
> Remember Python on Windows will still require VS2008 for a long time.
> Just take a look at the recent Python 3 loath threads.

Perhaps this all for the good.

There is no *technical* problem creating a compiler-independent C/C++ language
binding. I believe that Java's JNI works fine no matter what compiler you use,
although it's many many years since I've done JNI things. Similarly, Python
should IMHO just have a well defined compiler independent native code interface,
e.g. "PNI", or "pynacoin", the PYthon NAtive COde INterface :-)

Cheers,

- Alf