newb

Monte Milanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 20:33:10 EDT 2010

On 7/27/10 4:07 AM, whitey wrote:
> hi all. am totally new to python and was wondering if there are any
> newsgroups that are there specifically for beginners. i have bought a
> book for $2 called "learn to program using python" by alan gauld.
> starting to read it but it was written in 2001. presuming that the
> commands and info would still be valid? any websites or books that are a
> must for beginners? any input would be much appreciated...cheers

Alan Gauld posts fairly regularly over on the python-tutor mailing list,
as well as here.  He has newer material on his website @
http://www.alan-g.me.uk/, and if you google 'python tutorial' you'll
probably find more material than you can shake a stick at - from web
pages to books (both online and dead-tree) to You-Tube videos.

One book that helps me out quite a bit is John Zelle's "Python
Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science".  Just be aware there
is a first edition (covers python 2.x) and a newer second edition
(python 3.x) - both available from Amazon.