Python vs. Fedora and CentOS

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Jun 1 07:01:36 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 11:43 -0700, John Nagle wrote:
> The major Red Hat based Linux distros are still shipping with Python 2.4.
> As a result, almost all hosting providers are running obsolete versions of
> Python.
>    The big problem seems to be that "cPanel" and "yum" still use older versions
> of Python, and those programs are more important to distro builders than Python
> itself.
>    Is anybody trying to do something about this?

Yes, we install Python 2.6 on CentOS and run a production app on it - no
problems.

rpm -Uvh
http://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/stable/Redhat/5/i386/ius-release-1-4.ius.el5.noarch.rpm

yum -y install python26 python26-setuptools

<http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/coils/wiki/ProvisioningCentOS5>

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>