plac, the easiest command line arguments parser in the world

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Jun 2 05:01:24 EDT 2010

Paul Rubin, 02.06.2010 10:43:
> Tim Golden writes:
>> pattern, which provides a minimally semi-self-documenting
>> approach for positional args, but I've always found the existing
>> offerings just a little too much work to bother with.
>> I'll give plac a run and see how it behaves.
>
> After using optparse a couple of times I got the hang of it.  Maybe its
> docs could be organized a bit better, but it does the obvious things
> conveniently once you've figured it out a bit.

Same from here. I managed to talk a Java-drilled collegue of mine into
writing a Python script for a little command line utility, but he needed a
way to organise his argument extraction code when the number of arguments
started to grow beyond two. I told him that there were two ways to do it:
do it by hand or do it right. He took the right choice and I took him to
the optparse docs, copied the first example into his code and we adapted it
a little. He just loved the beauty of it.

Stefan