Plain simple unix timestamp with an HTTP GET

Ross rossgk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 20:57:09 EDT 2010

No - it's not really a python specific need, it's just what I'm using
just now, and can't think of where else to ask. It's also my fav test-
bed, as it's so easy.

Your curl example is using grep and date which I don't have available.
I have no fancy libraries, just core parsing capability.

I found that NIST has some capability on various servers.

RFC 868 and 867.  I can get this

> curl http://208.66.175.36:13/
55351 10-06-04 00:24:46 50 0 0   8.3 UTC(NIST) *

But I'd have a lot of parsing to pull it together.

Apparently RFC868 provides a 32bit unformated binary response, but I
can't make much out of it. I think my TCP client library is expecting
chars and is screwed by bit-boundary expectations.
The number is supposed to be seconds since 1900, which is just as good
as seconds since 1970.

Still hunting. Tho' maybe getting a bit off topic for a python msg
board :)