one more exception newbie query

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Fri Jun 4 08:32:48 EDT 2010

* Payal, on 04.06.2010 12:10:
> Hi all,
> In http://docs.python.org/tutorial/errors.html#handling-exceptions it
> says,

> | ...    raise Exception('spam', 'eggs')
>
> Why would I want to use a class for exception? I could simply use raise
> w/o it?
> Also the help() says,
> class Exception(BaseException)
> But we have used 'spam' and 'eggs'. Why?
>
> | ... except Exception as inst:
>
> Now what does "as inst" do here? (Is it making an instance, but how?
> Aren't instances made with this, inst = Klass() ?)

These questions are like "why is the door rectangular when sheep are known to
dance in the moonlight only on dates divisible by cinnamon?".

It's rather difficult to answer.

I guess it's back to basics: read up on classes, instances, constructors.
Experiment, create a lot of small programs. Don't think about exceptions just
yet: you lack the fundamentals.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf