Python Forum

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Jun 6 01:14:52 EDT 2010

In article <4c09b1f7$0$28659$c3e8da3 at news.astraweb.com>,
Steven D'Aprano  <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

>I'm sorry for all you people who don't live in a place with a genuinely
>free market, and instead have to suffer with the lack of competition and
>poor service of a monopoly or duopoly masquerading as a free market. But
>*my* point was that your woes are not universal, and Usenet is alive and
>well. It might be declining, but it's a long, slow decline and, like
>Cobol, it will probably still be around a decade after the cool kids
>declared it dead.

Your position is the same as mine as of about two weeks ago, before
someone sent this to me:

http://news.duke.edu/2010/05/usenet.html

Now I think that if even a top-tier educational institution isn't
willing to serve as a living museum for a technology it created, maybe
the death of Usenet is closer than I'd like to think.  :-(

Sucks because nothing replaces a good netnews client.

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra