GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 11:31:21 EDT 2010

On Jun 5, 9:22 pm, ant <shi... at uklinux.net> wrote:

> I ask the group; should we try to create a new GUI for Python, with
> the following
> properties?:
>
> - Pythonic
> - The default GUI (so it replaces Tkinter)
> - It has the support of the majority of the Python community
> - Simple and obvious to use for simple things
> - Comprehensive, for complicated things
> - Cross-platform
> - Looks good (to be defined)
> - As small as possible in its default form

Yes i one hundred percent agree! The only problem is i am the only
one! Good luck finding others to climb into this boat. From the
beginning there has has been this really weird love-hate relationship
with Tkinter in the Python community. I myself experience this
emotional attachment every day as i wish for Tkinter to be more
"pretty" and "feature-rich" whilst at the same time loving it's
simplicity. Tkinter seems to be Python's whipping boy and nobody wants
to whip another, so we are stuck in limbo with a lobotomy.

Heres an idea though, why not expand Tkinter with some new really cool
widgets...? Hmmm...? That TIX package is a real PITA and could use a
re-write. Can you believe it took until py3.0 for Tkinter to get a
combobox :-O! Yea i know! :'-(