Python Forum

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Jun 6 14:46:31 EDT 2010

In article <mailman.999.1275845128.32709.python-list at python.org>,
Monte Milanuk  <memilanuk at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 6/6/10 9:46 AM, Aahz wrote:
>>
>> but I prefer to rely on someone else's sysadmin and I
>> really don't want to allow remote connections into my home network.
>
>To each their own... while Panix is fairly relaxed as a shell host, I
>prefer to not have someone else telling me what I can and can't install
>or use, especially when I'm paying.  To be honest I can't SSH out from
>work anymore, so the remote connections / static IP is somewhat of a
>moot point.

And that is one reason why Panix is helpful (assuming your work does
simple port blocking and they don't have a formal policy banning SSH):

starfury:~> ssh -p 80 panix1.panix.com
aahz at PANIX.COM's Password:

>What I was trying to say was I don't get the point of paying for
>an account on a provider clear across the country simply for the
>sake of getting Usenet access... especially when more and more large
>institutions are shutting theirs down (i.e. the death knoll for usenet
>as others have pointed out).  Perhaps it would count for 'geek' points,
>but I'm not too worried about that ;)

Obviously, I don't use Panix only for Usenet, but Usenet is still a large
part of my social life.  I have no idea what I'll do when Usenet really
starts dying.

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra