GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 17:11:16 EDT 2010

On Jun 6, 2:06 pm, Mark Lawrence <breamore... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 06/06/2010 16:31, rantingrick wrote:
>

> > On Jun 5, 9:22 pm, ant<shi... at uklinux.net>  wrote:
>
> >> I ask the group; should we try to create a new GUI for Python, with
> >> the following
> >> properties?:
>
> >> - Pythonic
> >> - The default GUI (so it replaces Tkinter)
> >> - It has the support of the majority of the Python community
> >> - Simple and obvious to use for simple things
> >> - Comprehensive, for complicated things
> >> - Cross-platform
> >> - Looks good (to be defined)
> >> - As small as possible in its default form
>
> > Yes i one hundred percent agree! The only problem is i am the only
> > one! Good luck finding others to climb into this boat. From the
> > beginning there has has been this really weird love-hate relationship
> > with Tkinter in the Python community. I myself experience this
> > emotional attachment every day as i wish for Tkinter to be more
> > "pretty" and "feature-rich" whilst at the same time loving it's
> > simplicity. Tkinter seems to be Python's whipping boy and nobody wants
> > to whip another, so we are stuck in limbo with a lobotomy.
>
> > Heres an idea though, why not expand Tkinter with some new really cool
> > widgets...? Hmmm...? That TIX package is a real PITA and could use a
> > re-write. Can you believe it took until py3.0 for Tkinter to get a
> > combobox :-O! Yea i know! :'-(
>
> Patches are welcome at any time.  I look forward to seeing your first
> contribution.
>
> Kindest regards.
>
> Mark Lawrence.

Hello Mark,

Are you maintaining Tkinter or Tix or both? There is a nagging issue
with Tix that needs fixing. Upon subbclassing some widgets and when
using the import Tix and import Tix as *. Maybe it is already fixed in
3.0 (i have not checked) but we need to fix it.

I am still currently rewriting Tkinter Tix and IDLE in my spare time
but got a bit busy lately. Anyhoo, i would really like to bring some
patches, upgrades, and just a general spit shining to the entire three-
plexx so let me know.