GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Jun 6 20:48:01 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 17:03 -0700, AD. wrote:
> On Jun 7, 10:55 am, ant <shi... at uklinux.net> wrote:
> > My concern is simple: I think that Python is doomed to remain a minor
> > language unless we crack this problem.
> I'm curious why you think fragmented GUI choices is a particular
> problem for Python compared to other languages? Or why this is the
> main issue holding Python back?

The base assumption is: there is some core issue holding Python back?

Nah.

> .NET/C# has had preferred GUI APIs come and go and isn't exactly what
> I'd call crossplatform,

Well, if you use Gtk# for your GUI it is probably one of the [if not
"the"] most cross-platform development solution for complex fat-clients.

> Looking at the state of other languages and their GUI toolkit
> landscape, someone might even come to the conclusion that having one
> true GUI toolkit is potentially a bad thing for a language.

+1  In the end the relationships with GUI toolkits is far more about
tool-chain and documentation then it is about language.  If there was an
awesome IDE that allowed RAD [of real complex applications] in toolkit X
then people will use toolkit X.   [Monodevelop and it's awesome Gtk#
support for Mono/.NET is a good example;  the tool makes the toolkit
east to use - people go with the toolkit].

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>