GUIs - A Modest Proposal

ant shimbo at uklinux.net
Mon Jun 7 06:08:19 EDT 2010

I rather feel like I'm flogging a dead horse here, but time for
another mile...

First off, I'm not volunteering to lead this effort. I don't think
anyone should
even think about that until and unless the Python Powers That Be
actually
decide that it is worth doing. That is what I meant by 'strong
leadership'.

Second; 'A minor programming language'. According to

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

Visual Basic is more popular than Python. That makes me feel that
there
is something wrong with the world.

Third: "I'm curious why you think fragmented GUI choices is a
particular
 problem for Python compared to other languages? Or why this is the
 main issue holding Python back? "
It's not a particular problem for Python compared to other languages.
It's a general problem for all programming languages. But I presume
that you read this newgroup because you think Python is in some sense
'better' than other programming languages. And I think we can make it
better still.

Fourth: " BTW, what's your plan for producing such a leader?  Because
if we
 don't have a leader it's kind of a moot point.  (I know some people
 asked you to volunteer, but I suspect you would agree that you're
not
 up to the task, so I assume you are merely a visionary and have
 someone lined up that you've somehow convince to do the dirty work
of
 leadership.) "
I'm not a visionary and I don't have someone lined up. And I am
certainly
not up to the task myself. But I have watched with interest the
process of
turning Python2.x into Python3.x.  Does that give any hints about who
think should be considering this topic (see first point)?