GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 02:59:33 EDT 2010

On Jun 8, 1:39 am, "Martin P. Hellwig" <martin.hell... at dcuktec.org>
wrote:
> On 06/06/10 03:22, ant wrote:
>
> > I get the strong feeling that nobody is really happy with the state of
> > Python GUIs.
> > Tkinter is not widely liked, but is widely distributed. WxPython and
> > PyGtk are both
> > powerful, but quirky in different ways. PyQt is tied to one platform.
> > And there are
> > dozens more.
>
> Yeah I have the same problem with washing machines, I usually end up in
> one setting that works for me. But then again if Apple would make a
> washing mashing with only one button that says 'wash' everybody would be
> upset again because their favourite fabric does not have a special
> setting and users would be confused whether to put in washing powder
> before of after they have pushed the button.

And thats exactly not what the argument is about here. Including any
GUI in any language that satisfies everyone's personal tastes is
impossible. We are not trying to please X,Y,and Z. Nor or we are
secretly scheming to win "GUI Builder of the year awards.

Should ANY GUI be included in Python's stdlib, well probably not.
However, if you DO include a GUI it should at least be the "lightest-
weight-up-to-date-save-the-download-rate" GUI it can be!

> Perhaps the problem is saying 'GUI', sure by definition they're all
> graphical and ment for the user, but the interface is ambiguous,
> something that works well for touchscreen devices fails completely for
> voice control and is perhaps confusing for pointers or keyboard
> interaction.
> The next problem is integration, do I want to make it feel like it is
> part of the overall GUI (if there is any) or do I define my own
> 'standard'. With so many variables and different angles, it is no wonder
> that there are so many different toolkits. Though I have to say that
> most toolkits seems to struggle to define their own purpose.

Again all good arguments at next years "World Consortium GUI
Convention" but here nothing more than cannon fodder.

> World domination and making GUI's against the law, everybody back to the
> command line, driven by either voice, virtual/real keyboard or a direct
> brain interface :-)

Personally i wait with impatient optimism for the brain interfaces.