Syntax problem - cannot solve it by myself

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Jun 8 17:54:07 EDT 2010

Deadly Dirk wrote:

> I am a total beginner with Python. I am reading a book ("The Quick Python
> Book", 2nd edition, by Vernon Ceder) which tells me that print function
> takes end="" argument not to print newline character. I tried and here is
> what happens:

> abc
>   File "<stdin>", line 1
>     print(x,end="")
>                ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>>>

> What does the error message mean? I am using Python 2.6.5 on Ubuntu 9.10.

There are small differences between Python 2.x and 3.x.

print(x, end="")

is Python 3 as is the whole book you are reading. I would guess that is
prominently mentioned at the very beginning?

For the examples to work you have to install Python 3.1 with

$ sudo apt-get install python3

and invoke the interpreter with

$ python3

Good luck with your efforts!