GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Tue Jun 8 18:20:59 EDT 2010

On 06/08/10 22:14, Ethan Furman wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> Even if this was possible (which it is not)
>>
>> Why is it not possible? It seems to have been done for other
>> languages.

<cut>
Yes indeed, however gp forgot another step:
tkinter > tcl > tk > xlib/xcb > x server
There are already some more or less usable (though they look abandoned)
experiments that do this:
https://launchpad.net/twisted-x11
http://python-xlib.sourceforge.net/

However I don't think that x11 represents that majority (just a gut
feeling I have no data to back this claim up) of gui users, so an equal
solution should be found for windows and macs.

I do think it is technically possible to have your own window manager in
python on x11 but I have no idea if you have equal possibilities on mac
and windows (for example to define your own window decoration).
Though considering tk does just that I would guess this to be the case.

--
mph