GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 21:43:54 EDT 2010

On Jun 8, 7:15 pm, Kevin Walzer <k... at codebykevin.com> wrote:
> On 6/8/10 7:58 PM, rantingrick wrote:
>
> > The same people who would fight
> > to the death to protect Tkinter's existence in the stdlib never use
> > the library anyway and personally hate it!
>
> I want to keep it in the stdlib because I use it for all my apps, and
> personally prefer it to any other GUI toolkit out there.

Now thats a valid argument and i thank you for it. I also use Tkinter
quite extensively and it would hurt me to see it go but it cannot stay
the way it exists today. So if we are to keep Tkinter let's get behind
a real effort to fix this damn thing once and for all! There are many
ways people can get behind an effort. They can jump on board and start
writing code or even just say

""" Hey, i don't really use Tkinter (or GUI) but i would like to see a
Python stdlib that is up to date so you have my vote! +1"""

IDLE is also in dire need of an upgrade...

 - It does not exit gracefully from some actions
 - Error dialogs don't properly return focus to main window
 - Replace/Find dialogs are not transient
 - The home button should move the cursor one space after ">>> |" (not
in front of it "|>>>")
 - A "... " spacer should be inserted automatically in blocks
 - Copy should remove leading ">>> " chars
 - When using the replace dialog sometimes the highlight does not work
and you can't see which (if any) word is about to be replaced
 - In the TabbedPages widget the tabs are almost invisible
 - The class browser should be available all the time in a panned
window
 - and more...

But the relentless hoards will parrot off negativity...

  """ But i don't use IDLE so i don't care!"""

...Ok then zip your lips and let the ones who do care talk!