Tkinter menu checkbutton not working

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 12:54:37 EDT 2010

On Jun 9, 11:26 am, Dodo <dodo_do_not_wake... at yahoo.Fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I trying to make this piece of code work (this is python3)
>
> from tkinter import *
> from tkinter.ttk import *
>
> class Window:
>   def __init__(self):
>    self.root = Tk()
>
>    self.menu = Menu(self.root)
>    self.root['menu'] = self.menu
>
>    self.submenu = Menu(self.menu)
>    self.ck = 0
>    self.submenu.add_checkbutton(label="My checkbutton",
> variable=self.ck, command=self.displayCK)
>    self.menu.add_cascade(label="sub", menu=self.submenu )
>
>   def displayCK(self):
>    print( self.ck )
>
> app = Window()
> app.root.mainloop()

see my recent post on your last question. The way you are writing
these classes is wrong. Always inherit from something, in this case
Tk. Fix that first and then pretty up this GUI. But to answer your
question "self.ck" needs to be an instance of tk.IntVar. Read more
about it here...

    http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter/checkbutton.html