GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Jun 9 14:06:23 EDT 2010

> The GUI must be small, pythonic, and cross platform.

And how many times have I heard that?  I develop GUIs... good luck.
Come back in ten years when you have some working code.

> Tkinter is aimed at the newbie and i would think that was Guido's
> original vision. And it's not the worst GUI by far. But we need to fix
> it, or abandon it.

Or just use a different one.  Simple enough.

> > 5 I should stop pontificating, and write code. If it's better than the
> > existing, people will use it and it will
> >   become the standard.
> Writing code guarantee's NOTHING!

NOT writing code does guarantee NOTHING!!

>  That is the whole point of threads
> like this one. First do research and then write code. Not the other
> way round lest you have time to waste.
> > So I think comments like "the system doesn't work like that - nothing
> > happens till code is working" miss the point.
> Exactly! see my last answer.

A point cannot miss itself, that doesn't make sense.  "code is working"
*is* the point, the whole point, and there is no other point.

> > So, to summarise the summary: I reiterate my call. Somebody has to get
> > Tkinter out of the distribution and replaced

Or not, whatever.

> > by something that - as a minimum - doesn't get slagged off by nearly
> > everyone.
> > It can't be me - I don't have the clout.
> Yes we need a leader.

Or we don't.