GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 14:11:00 EDT 2010

On Jun 9, 12:53 pm, Brian Blais <bbl... at bryant.edu> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2010, at 7:16 , ant wrote:
>
> > 1 Although a few advocates of Tkinter have spoken in favour of it,
> > most seem to think that:
> >     It's not particularly elegant, either in its use or its
> > implementation with Tcl/Tk
> >     Not many people use it anyway, so why bother?
>
> > 2 Most people who have used a GUI have some investment in it. So
> > arguments about which one is best tend to be
> >   partial and not wonderfully constructive.
>
> In this whole discussion, I haven't seen anyone mention wax (http://
> zephyrfalcon.org/labs/wax_primer.html)

I myself would not be opposed to a thin Wx, i think it would be a step
in the right direction. The project looks very interesting although i
have not tried the thing out yet so i can only speak to the idea of
it. The beauty is that at least you're investing your time into
something that scales into professional level GUI building. Wx has a
very large and up to date widget set. With Tkinter you get so far and
then bang, brick wall! Your confined by even TclTk so there is no hope
of escape!

+1 wax