GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jun 9 15:42:00 EDT 2010

Am 09.06.2010 19:16, schrieb Ethan Furman:
> Gregory Ewing wrote:
>> Kevin Walzer wrote:
>>> PyGUI ... certainly is *not* a lightweight GUI toolkit that could
>>> easily be incorporated into the Python core library--it instead has
>>> rather complex dependencies on both other GUI toolkits and Python
>>> wrappers of those toolkits.
>>
>> I don't see how the dependencies could be regarded as "complex".
>> There's more or less only one on each platform, and they're
>> pretty standard accessories for the platform concerned. You could
>> say there are two on Linux if you count gtk itself, but you almost
>> certainly already have it these days if you're running any
>> kind of desktop at all.
>
> *Alert* Potentially dumb question following: On the MS Windows platform,
> Gtk is not required, just win32?

pywin32, to be precise. To include PyGui into Python, either PythonWin
would have to be included (which would require it to be contributed in
the first place), or the win32 extensions would need to be rewritten,
or PyGui would need to be implemented in terms of ctypes (which then
would prevent its inclusion, because there is a policy that ctypes must
not be used in the standard library).

I would personally prefer the win32 extensions to be rewritten for use
in core Python. I think it should be possible to generate a Win32
wrapper much more automatically (e.g. using Cython, or something like
it), and I think that the separation of pywin32 into modules is somewhat
arbitrary - either there should be a single "windows" module, or the
split should be by DLL (which still is arbitrary, but defined by MS).

That is, of course, all off-topic.

Regards,
Martin