GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jun 9 19:00:16 EDT 2010

> As an aside, I couldn't care one hoot about the standard Python GUI, let
> alone two, but it strikes me that you have conveniently ignored Mark
> Roseman's comments earlier in this thread regarding Tk. I've no idea how
> much work would be involved for the Python core volunteers in
> introducing newer versions of Tk, and just maybe they've got more
> important things to work on, which you might realise if you were to
> follow the Python bug tracker mailing list.

For the record, Python *does* include newer versions of Tk all the time.
Tkinter builds with about any Tk version you pick at compile time, so
the Linux distributions typically ship Tkinter being bound to recent Tk
versions. The same holds for the Windows releases provided on
python.org; I update Tk for these for every major Python release (but
not for bugfix releases). For OSX, the issue is a little more tricky;
you have the choice of either using the Apple-provided Tk version (which
gets upgraded with OSX releases), or to install a newer Tk version
separately.

Regards,
Martin