GUIs - A Modest Proposal

bart.c bartc at freeuk.com
Wed Jun 9 20:25:50 EDT 2010

"Steven D'Aprano" <steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au> wrote in message
news:4c101fbc$0$28644$c3e8da3 at news.astraweb.com...
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 04:16:23 -0700, ant wrote:
>

>> 1 Although a few advocates of Tkinter have spoken in favour of it, most
>> seem to think that:
>>     It's not particularly elegant, either in its use or its
>> implementation with Tcl/Tk
>>     If we didn't have a GUI in the distribution, we wouldn't choose
>> Tkinter now; it seems like its inclusion
>>     is  a sort of historical accident.
>
> I'm not so sure about that. If we didn't have a GUI, what would we
> include?

Is the Tkinter GUI also the basic way that Python handles a graphics
display? (I've never tried it.)

If it is, then perhaps it's possible to split the purely graphical drawing
stuff (which is simple) from the dialog/widget stuff (which is not so
simple).

A library for graphical display, plus basic user-input, should be
straightforward to implement. And can be used to produce crude (non-native)
GUIs.

--
Bartc