GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 12:06:04 EDT 2010

On Jun 10, 3:28 am, Gregory Ewing <greg.ew... at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Brian Blais wrote:
> > In this whole discussion, I haven't seen anyone mention wax (http://
> > zephyrfalcon.org/labs/wax_primer.html)
>
> Just had a quick look at that. In the third example code box:
>
>    def Body(self):
>        ^^^^
>      self.textbox = TextBox(self, multiline=1, wrap=0)
>      self.AddComponent(self.textbox)
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Here's something unpythonic already: a couple of non-pep-8-compliant
> method names.
>
> And a bit further down:
>
>      self.textbox.SetFont(FIXED_FONT)
>                   ^^^^^^^
>
> Using a setter method instead of a property.
>
> So while it's quite likely better than raw wxPython, it fails the
> pythonicity test for me.
>
> --
> Greg

Yes, i'll agree the syntax it not what we would want for Python.
Although it could be re-written in a Pythonic fashion but then again
scaling to the real Wx library would not be as "clean". However wax
does have one very likable quality -- it "is" a small part of a well
established GUI and very large library. But again, not what any of
"us" would consider to be Pythonic "enough".