historic grail python browser "semi-recovered"

lkcl luke.leighton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 13:05:08 EDT 2010

On Jun 9, 11:03 pm, rantingrick <rantingr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 9, 4:29 pm, lkcl <luke.leigh... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > um, please don't ask me why but i foundgrail, the python-based web
> >browser, and have managed to hack it into submission sufficiently to
> > view e.g.http://www.google.co.uk.  out of sheer apathy i happened to
> > have python2.4 still installed which was the only way i could get it
> > to run without having to rewrite regex expressions (which i don't
> > understand).
>
> > if anyone else would be interested in resurrecting this historic web
> >browser, just for fits and giggles, please let me know.
>
> Hi lkcl,
>
> My current conquest to bring a new (or fix the current GUI) in
> Python's stdlib is receiving much resistance. I many need a project to
> convince my opponents of my worth. Tell you what i do, send me a text
> file with a pathname and all the line numbers that have broken regexs
> using a common sep --space is fine for me-- and i'll fix them for you.
> Here is a sample...

 ok i've committed a file REGEX.CONVERSIONS.REQUIRED into the git
repository,
http://github.com/lkcl/grailbrowser
git://github.com/lkcl/grailbrowser.git

 i used "grep -n" so it's filename:lineno:  {ignore the actual stuff}

 unfortunately, SGMLLexer.py contains some _vast_ regexs spanning 5-6
lines, which means that a simple grep ain't gonna cut it.  there's a
batch of regex's spanning from line 650 to line 699 and a few more
besides.

 of course, it has to be borne in mind that this code was written for
python 1.5 initially, at a time when python xml/sax/dom/sgml code
probably didn't exist.

 but leaving aside the fact that it all needs to be ripped up and
modernised i'm more concerned about getting these 35,000 lines of code
operational, doing as small transitions as possible.

 l.