GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Thu Jun 10 18:24:32 EDT 2010

On 6/10/10 3:17 PM, geremy condra wrote:
> I mostly agree with you, but as Stephen points out you can't exactly
> count on it being present now either, which more or less renders any
> guarantee of backwards compatibility moot IMO. Whats the practical
> difference between telling somebody that either tkinter works out of
> the box or they'll have to satisfy an extra dependency and just telling
> them that they'll have to satisfy an additional dependency in the first
> place?

Although that is true in theory, in reality-- In my experience-- You
*can* count on it being there, except on Linux distributions which may
choose to cut it out into an optional install, and where its also
extremely trivial to add back in.

For both Mac and Windows, its basically always there. (Unless you go out
of your way to uncheck it in the windows installer...)

Linux distros may choose to cut up the standard Python library; that's
their business if they wanna do it. But they also make it really easy to
add back in.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... me+list/python (AT) ixokai (DOT) io

P.S. Considering I almost never use tkinter, I'm confused how I somehow
suddenly became a Champion of Tkinter Inclusiveness.