GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 02:00:37 EDT 2010

On Jun 11, 12:17 am, ant <shi... at uklinux.net> wrote:
> I like the points about backwards compatibility. Presumably that
> reason alone is enough to keep Tkinter in the standard library for a
> long while.

I don't see why that is a good reason. Download Tkinter and your
backward compatible again. The majority don't use it anyway. I would
bet that only myself, Kevin, and only a handful of others use Tkinter
for anything more than education purposes. AFIK, Kevin is THE ONLY
PYTHON programmer producing real professional GUI's with Tkinter -- i
encourage anyone else to speak up if your out there producing real
Tkinter GUI. (psst: i don't think we'll be seeing mobs in the streets,
really i don't)

> So would it be so awful to have Tkinter and GUI2 (whatever it is) in
> the stdlib, assuming that both had equivalent functionality?

That would be an atrociously horrible idea! One GUI is more than
enough. Some would say one GUI is far too much. Two GUIs? Yea that'll
get a warm reception from pydev. ;-)