Deformed Form

Victor Subervi victorsubervi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 07:46:35 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Stephen Hansen <me+list/python at ixokai.io>wrote:

> On 6/10/10 10:48 AM, Victor Subervi wrote:
> > Now, create_edit_passengers3() is called by the form/submit button in
> (you
> > guessed it) create_edit_passengers2.py, the latter containing a var in it
> > which *should* be accessible to create_edit_passengers3.py, one would
> think.
>
> Wait, wait, wait.
>
> If a user is browsing to, say,
> http://example.com/create_edit_passengers2.py; that script will be run,
> and once -done-, print out a form which the user sees.
>
> At that point, create_edit_passengers2.py is dead. Gone. Over.
>
> Once a person then clicks Submit, and the form is sent to
> http://example.com/create_edit_passengers3.py; its a whole new
> environment (assuming you're using CGI, which it appears you are).
>
> The *only* way for state or data to get from one script to another is
> not importing, or shared variables, or anything like that: you *have* to
> pass it into that form, and extract it from the resulting form. You can
> pass the actual variables as a <input type="hidden">, and then extract
> it like any of the user-fields. Or, you can write out your state to a
> local file with some unique ID, and just write out into the form that
> unique ID. Or use a cookie session. Etc.
>
> You *can't* pass variables around script-to-script among separate CGI
> sessions. It just totally doesn't work like that. Any success you think
> you have had is false; it works by mere accident or illusion. Each CGI
> script stands alone. It starts, runs, executes, then closes. No state is
> preserved unless you *explicitly* preserve it.

You know, if this were the first time I'd worked with "passing variables
around" through cgi, I'd think you may be right. But answer me this: if what
you assume is correct, how in the heck is this variable being generated (and
it is) in create_edit_passengers2.py<http://example.com/create_edit_passengers2.py>(as
an <input type="text"...>) and then being reinstantiated in another
script? That is, if what you say is true, I should not be able to access it
through ANY script whatsoever after
create_edit_passengers2.py<http://example.com/create_edit_passengers2.py>is
"dead", right??? Look closely:

1) variable value generated is
create_edit_passengers2.py<http://example.com/create_edit_passengers2.py>
2) create_edit_passengers2.py<http://example.com/create_edit_passengers2.py>calls
create_edit_passengers3.py
<http://example.com/create_edit_passengers2.py>via a <form...> and
passes the value of the var thereunto.
3) theoretically! Yet for some reason I can't call it in
create_edit_passengers3.py
<http://example.com/create_edit_passengers2.py>but *can* call it in a
script that is imported by
create_edit_passengers3.py <http://example.com/create_edit_passengers2.py>

Now you guys can make fun of me all you want, but until you actually READ
and UNDERSTAND what I'm writing, I'm afraid I think your criticisms are
ridiculous and make you look like fools. For those who don't criticize me
and are trying to help but misunderstand, hey, what can I say, who
misunderstand so much myself lol.
TIA,
beno